Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Great Grains


So, while I was off pretending to be an explorer in Alaska, the Foundations of Food group went onto Assignment #2 - Great Grains (to refresh, Assignment #1 is here). But herein lies the problem - beyond quinoa, I don't really do grains. Not a huge fan of brown rice or barley.  And, to be perfectly honest, I am not sure what spelt, millet, or rye berries even are. (Do you?! If so, please enlighten me.) But whatever these things are, I apparently need to add them to my diet as they are an excellent source of nutrition with essential enzymes, iron, fiber, and vitamins E & B-complex.  Plus, they absorb into the body slowly so they provide quality, long-lasting energy. And who doesn't need more energy throughout the day? 

Anyways, for the last week or so, I have been playing it safe and cooking more quinoa than any one person should eat (according to the Husband). So, if you know of an amazing recipe with one of those mystery whole-grains listed above, please drop me a line. (And ASAP (1) for the Husband's sanity and (2) because I am playing catch-up as the group has moved onto Assignment #3 this week - Beans. More on that later!). However, until I hear from you, here is the plan/recipe for tonight's dinner (sorry, Husband). 


xo,
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment